Thursday, October 1, 2009

"Peaceable Kingdom"


I was inspired to use animals to portray my message of world peace by "Isaiah 11:6" as well as Edward Hick's painting Peaceable Kingdom. Another influence was Dennis McNett. I looked at many of Dennis McNett's prints before cutting because they helped me capture the texture and form of a wolf's thick coat. I created my own technique when creating the lamb's coat and tried to capture their fluffy consistency. To better emphasize the idea of the wolf and lamb getting along, I made compositional decisions such as correlating them through eye contact and using a circular textural background to tie them together. I strived to create unity between these two usually clashing animals in order to promote the message of world peace.
-Leigh G.

No comments: